Registered Holistic Nutritionists (RHNs) are professionals trained in Natural Nutrition and complementary therapies, whose principal function is to educate individuals or groups about the benefits and health impact of optimal nutrition. The word “Holistic” means looking at the body as a whole, rather than just the symptoms and working on improving specific areas of your body at the functional level.
Mainstream medicine often does not emphasize the significance of poor nutrition as a major cause of a wide range of health disorders. Although most people are aware of the benefits of sound nutrition, the range of conflicting information available to the consumer is often confusing. RHNs guide their clients through the maze of information from books, magazines, supplements and diets on the market. They work with clients to identify and help correct the nutritional causes of diseases, and they are qualified to design personalized diet and lifestyle programs that optimize health.
In holistic nutrition it is believed that we need a certain balance of protein, vitamins, and other nutrients to help our bodies reach maximum energy levels and overall physical and emotional health. Holistic nutritionists devise diets that match each individual’s health and nutritional needs, focusing on the whole person, acknowledging that everyone is unique and, hence, have unique needs. Using this method, we do not follow a food guide or food pyramid as our goal is to unify the physical, nutritional, environmental, emotional and spiritual components of a client’s life to promote balance and wellbeing.
A holistic nutritionist believes that there is no one diet or lifestyle that is right for everyone all of the time; there are no miracle foods or herbs that will cure all illnesses. Because everyone is different, every effort is made to understand each person’s individual needs, likes and dislikes in order to formulate the best diet, supplement, and lifestyle approach for that person. A holistic nutritionist will help educate you about the best food and lifestyle choices for you. They will help you understand the truth about real food and wellness, and help you make the right choices to find your optimum self.
How can a Holistic Nutritionist help me?
Holistic Nutrition can guide and support you in many ways, including:
Individualized food plans based on YOU – your likes, dislikes, food intolerances, allergies, lifestyle habits to ensure the most success with your program.
• Inspiration, motivation and guidance with your meal plan and other lifestyle recommendations and figure out the cause of your health concerns. The information on the internet is often incorrect and impossible to figure out on your own. Your Nutritionist will provide you with the correct and most up to date information.
• Improve Digestion. A sluggish digestive system, or imbalances in this area are often the root cause to the majority of health problems.
• Improve your mood and mental health. When your body is getting all the nutrients it needs to function properly, your mind will be clear, your memory will be sharp, and your mood will be happy!
• Diet AND lifestyle recommendations. A holistic nutritionist teaches you a holistic model of health by providing not only dietary guidance, but lifestyle suggestions too.
• No quick-fix fad or crash diets. Diets don’t work and are time-limited. By getting healthy over time, weight loss will be a side effect, as will glowing skin, higher sex drive, better sleep and improved digestion. Your energy will skyrocket and you will feel like a new person!
• Holistic nutritionists do not advise you on a food guide or pyramid, but on what is best for you specifically.
• Learn new recipes by turning something unhealthy into something healthy!
• Learn what nutrients you may be deficient in due to medications you are taking, the way some food is prepared, or the overconsumption of certain nutrients. Use foods and supplements (if needed) to replace what’s lost and correct the imbalance.
• Prepare your body for pregnancy prior to conception, during pregnancy, and after baby is born.